Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Final Post



For the final blog post of the semester (and potentially the final academic one of my life), I will talk about the future of the Internet and technology in 10 years time. Well, if I knew about what the future would be like, I would be a rich, rich man. But since I don't have my crystal ball, I would just have to imagine and also extrapolate current information and bring things to a logical point, I hope. So, here we go.

Basically, I feel that software will just get faster and better, and hardware will get cooler and cooler. A decade later, who knows, we could have computers in our brains, and holograms and printers and cameras and whatnot all on our bodies. Essentially, we become like this:



But really, I can foresee the technology of the Internet becoming more and more intuitive, like this video that we have watched:

Sixth sense




Or Microsoft Surface



Holograms, anyone?


Or how about even telekinesis?

The race is on for companies to produce the most intuitive system that people will take to like fish to water, birds to air. Internet technology, would therefore be ubiquitous, all around us. Everything that we know would converge onto the Internet and integrated into one gadget. I can predict that things are going to become faster, smaller, lighter and oh-so-much cooler!



I also predict that we become so dependent on technology that we will literally die in a day without it. Transport, meeting new people, businesses, politics, education, everything will just stop in their tracks when say, an alien invasion sends out an electromagnetic pulse to disable Earth. As you can figure out, I am not so much of a techie.. I prefer to keep things simple. But hey! Sometimes you have just got to go with the flow. I do admit that technology does pose endless possibilities, limited only by our minds. It's a cool time to be in!

But in all honesty, nobody really knows what the future would be like. Technology that excites people now may become redundant tomorrow. Who knows, something new may come up on the market and shake up the entire world, just like Microsoft or Google is doing. So, I will avoid speculation but I will say what I know, that the future is going to be so advanced that we would all look back and realise how primitive we are right now.

To sum things up, this module has opened up my eyes to the wonders of technology and the Internet. I learnt a lot of things that I would have never known about without taking this course. The concept that perhaps impacted me the most would be the growth mindset. This is relevant to the things that we are seeing that are happening before our very eyes, that are changing the world. Now that I am 'enlightened', I can no longer ignore the future; but rather I have to face it and more importantly, embrace it. It's going to be tough, it's going to take a lot of trial and error, it's going to take plenty of effort and most importantly, since this is technology we are talking about, it's going to take a whole lot of money. But the future is filled with potential, and I intend to embrace it and squeeze every thing I can get out of it. I also learnt that everything amazing right now starts from an idea, perhaps that is where I should get started too.

No comments:

Post a Comment